Terms and Conditions
The following paragraphs contain the general terms and conditions under which BU Boxes is engaged in the movement, transportation, rental, and/or storage of personal items including, but not limited to, boxes and packages within the United States and jointly through interchange with its affiliates. BU Boxes reserves the right to amend any portion of this service explanation at any time. The most current service explanation may be found at www.buboxes.com and is available upon written request from the BU Boxes office.
1. SERVICE. Storage Services shall include the pickup, transportation, storage, and delivery of the Customer's possessions. The Customer shall present pre-packed personal goods to BU Boxes at the time of pickup. BU Boxes shall transport these goods to an appropriate storage facility chosen at the sole discretion of BU Boxes. BU Boxes will return the goods to the Customer during dates and times established by BU Boxes by considering school and dormitory schedules. Customer agrees to be present to receive the goods at the specified delivery date, time, and location. Transportation is provided by Miller Moves, Norwich NY.
2. STORAGE. The Customer understands access to goods in storage is permitted only with 5 business days prior notice and upon payment of a non-refundable fee as per the Pricing section below. If the items must be delivered prior to the specified delivery dates, arrangements must be made through our office.
3. THE MATERIAL DROP-OFF: BU Boxes will provide the date and time for the materials that will be dropped off for packing. This information will be sent to the customer via e-mail and/or posted on the website. The customer must have an account with the BU Boxes and show up with a school I.D. The customer at that time will sign a contract with BU Boxes. On this contract, the customer will acknowledge that he/she has read the Terms & Conditions. The latest terms and conditions are the on the website.
The customer will receive the materials that he/she requested. At this time they may request additional materials. A Customer Service representative will indicate the amount of materials given on their contract. The boxes that the customer takes must be used for our program.
4. PICK-UP AND DELIVERY. BU Boxes will provide the Customer with a date, time and location of where pickup or delivery will occur. This information will be sent via email and/or be posted on the website. BU Boxes provides storage services subject to a number of restrictions. The Customer accepts full responsibility and liability for any damages or losses that result from the Customer's failure to adhere to these service restrictions. The customer must communicate any changes to the previously scheduled delivery date or location to BU Boxes at least 10 days prior to the earlier of the originally scheduled delivery date and the new delivery date. Changes made within 9 days of the delivery date are not guaranteed. An additional fee may be assessed.
The Customer recognizes that BU Boxes will not be held liable for damage to their belongings after delivery has occurred. In the event that the Customer is not present during their scheduled delivery date and time, BU Boxes representatives will not leave items behind and the customer will have to make arrangements for a redelivery solely at the expense of the customer. Customers must notify BU Boxes in advance if someone else is to receive their belongings.
5. HOW TO PACK. The Customer acknowledges reading and accepting the terms of BU Boxes packing instructions as found on BU Boxes website and agrees that the safe packing of items is the sole responsibility of the Customer.
6. PRICING. The Customer agrees to pay the total cost of the services provided by BU Boxes based on the number and type of items tendered to BU Boxes at the time of pickup, the exact services to be provided, and the prices contained on BU Boxes website. The Customer further agrees to pay any applicable fees as specified in the Pricing section.
7. VENDORS/AGENTS. BU Boxes uses vendors and other agents in performing the services for the Customer. The Customer acknowledges the use of these parties and the fact that the Customer has no contractual relationship with these parties.
8. COVERAGE. The Customer recognizes that only loss or damage caused by the negligence of BU Boxes will be covered by BU Boxes, as described in these Terms and Conditions. Only physical damage to the exterior of the box/item will activate any claim on the item. In addition, damages that result from non-adherence to the packing instructions are not the responsibility of BU Boxes. BU Boxes automatically protects each BU Boxes storage and shipping package against loss or damage up to a value of $100. Unless the customer purchases additional coverage, the customer agrees that the released value of each package is no greater than $100 and that BU Boxes' liability is limited to $100. BU Boxes strongly recommends the purchase of additional coverage.
8a. Coverage Description
The basic and additional coverage for stored items provides coverage against damage or loss of the Customer's stored packages. The insurance does not cover:
Jewelry, coins, and collectables.
Damage to electronic equipment if there is no evidence of physical damage or breakage to the packaging container.
Items of intangible value.
Extremely fragile items (e.g. mirrors).
Improperly packed items.
Unpacked items, including furniture that is not wrapped and protected.
Minor damage due to normal handling (including, but not limited to scratches, nicks, & cuts).
Any damage caused by force majeure.
Damage to storage containers (e.g. boxes, trunks, etc.)
Damages due to natural disasters, and any and all loss or damages occurring while the items are not in the possession of BU Boxes.
Damages caused to particle board and assembled furniture.
Damaged items must have evidence of physical damage to the exterior packaging of the item. BU Boxes cannot be held liable for concealed damage to items within a carton, trunk, or other casing without physical damage to the exterior of the package.
The Customer acknowledges that they are liable for any damage their storage contents may inflict on the property of others.
Notwithstanding anything to the contrary contained in this Agreement, BU Boxes' maximum liability for any damage, loss, cost, or expense incurred as a result of any storage by BU Boxes is limited by the terms included in this Agreement. All coverage is expressly limited to the period in which the Customer's possessions are in the actual care and custody of BU Boxes.
The Customer agrees to first claim any loss against any coverage carried by the Customer or the Customer's parents, if available. The Customer will make claims against BU Boxes only after exhausting other areas of coverage.
In the case of damage to stored packages, any damaged cartons must be inspected in the presence of a BU Boxes representative at the time of delivery to confirm damage. All damaged boxes must be opened at the time of delivery, at which time the BU Boxes representative will document the damage. For loss of stored packages, the Customer must notify the BU Boxes representative of the loss at the time of delivery of the other packages and sign the delivery receipt amended for the lost package. The missing items must be noted on the form and signed off by the BU Boxes representative.
If the customer is not present during the time of delivery, the condition notes recorded on the contract, if any, will determine the existence and extent of damage or loss.
Claims for loss of, or damage to, the Customer's property must be filed with BU Boxes by requesting a claims form from BU Boxes. Claims shall be deemed waived if not filed within 3 days following delivery of the damaged package or, in the case of lost items, within 3 days following the scheduled delivery of the missing item. Upon receipt of a completed Claim Form and any required documentation, BU Boxes will process the claim and issue a formal reply to the Customer within 30 days of receipt of the Claim Form and documentation. BU Boxes will pay the lesser of the following claim amounts:
a. The cost of reasonably restoring the property to its condition immediately before the move (applies only in the case of damaged items).
b. The actual replacement value of the property.
c. The amount of coverage on the package, which is:
i. $100 if no additional coverage was purchased
It is hereby expressly agreed that BU Boxes shall have no liability if any claim is denied or paid in part by the Shipping Carrier.
9. ABANDONMENT. Without limiting the right of BU Boxes to conclude for other reasons that the Customer will not be returning to school, the Customer agrees that their failure to be present on the scheduled delivery day and their failure to communicate with BU Boxes concerning an alternate delivery arrangement constitutes abandonment of their stored possessions.
Under abandonment of their possessions, the Customer agrees to pay BU Boxes for all charges and fees relating to the failed delivery and further shipping of the possessions to the permanent address provided by the Customer at the time of registration. BU Boxes has the right to assume ownership of the abandoned property on December 31st of the service year.
10a. OUR RIGHT TO ACCESS BOXES. We may open any of your boxes without providing you with any prior notice in cases of emergency, which would include, but is not limited to, situations when, in our discretion, we need to: (i) make any repairs to the box or replace the box (however we are not obligated to repair or replace any boxes); (ii) locate and remove any property which appears to be seeping out of the box, or which appears to be emitting fumes or odors from the box, or which appears to be harming or endangering any other box or the property of any others; (iii) enforce the terms of this Agreement, including all our rights and remedies; (iv) open the box for security reasons generally; or (v) comply with any Court Order or applicable law or regulation. At all other times, we will provide you with reasonable notice prior to opening a box containing your belongings.
10b. YOUR RIGHT TO ACCESS BOXES. Provided your account with us is paid in full and you are not in default, you have the right to access your boxes from time to time without canceling this Agreement, for the purpose of inspecting, removing or adding stored goods, by contacting us at 607-644-1044. Alternatively, you may arrange for drop - off of the box at your residence, subject to BU Boxes' prevailing Drop - off Fee, as such additional fee is set forth on the BU Boxes Website. Please note that BU Boxes requires a minimum of 24 hours prior notice in order to accommodate all such requests, and that you will be required to confirm your identity by means of an acceptable form of picture identification before our representatives will allow you access to your boxes.
11. CUSTOMER INFORMATION. You are required to notify us immediately of any changes to your name, address, contact information, credit card, by contacting us at, 607-644-1044. The Customer warrants that any personal information that he or she provides to BU Boxes is truthful, complete and accurate.
If, as a result of your failure to provide us with updated information, BU Boxes is unable to process any fees or charges payable under this Agreement, or if BU Boxes is unable to contact you in the event of an emergency, BU Boxes may deem your property to have been abandoned, and dispose of any such property as provided herein.
12. WAIVER. Except as specifically provided in this Agreement, the Customer waives any claims for damage or loss of any article against BU Boxes and its employees. The Customer expressly releases and holds BU Boxes, and its agents and employees harmless from any and all costs of processing any claim or defending any claim arising from this Agreement.
13. APPLICABLE LAW. The Customer acknowledges that there are no representations, warranties, or Agreements by or between the parties which are not fully set forth herein and no representative of BU Boxes or BU Boxes' agents is authorized to make any representations, warranties, or Agreements other than as expressly set forth herein. A writing signed by the parties may only amend this Agreement.
14. CHARGEBACKS AND REVERSALS. We handle all chargebacks and reversals as potential cases of fraudulent use of our product offer and/or theft of product. In cases where we have provided a product and we have verified that a client has received a product and/or refused or returned product(s), whether or not they have used the product in any way, possible actions taken by the company may include filing a complaint with the Internet Crimes Bureau and/or local authorities, or reporting the incident to the appropriate authorities in your state to investigate theft of product and possible mail fraud which is a Federal Crime. All cases of chargeback requests will be vigorously fought by the Company. BE AWARE that if you choose to claim your online transaction was fraudulent that all activity and IP address information is captured. This digital proof of whom and where the order was placed will be submitted to the proper authorities. This information may be used in a civil and criminal case against a customer if there is fraudulent use or theft of product(s).
15. ENTIRE AGREEMENT. This Agreement shall be governed, interpreted, and construed according to the law of the State of New York. The Customer agrees that any court action pertaining to this agreement shall be conducted in courts in the State of New York.